Powered By Blogger

Sunday, March 23, 2014

NEW SERIES: THE OUTLAW KING

 Just read a couple of books by author S.A. Hunt. that had me turning pages until I got to the end .
The first book in the series is The Whirlwind in the Thorn Tree.
Protagonist Ross Brigham comes home after a tour of duty in Afghanistan...and is hit by heart wrenching life changes, with no warning his wife takes him to a home that's empty except for Ross's meager possessions, she's moved out, then his mother calls to tell him  his father has died unexpectedly.
 Ross goes home for the funeral to discover just how popular his father's fantasy series is with its fans
After the huge funeral, Ross investigates his father's death, accompanied by two of his father's fans--film student Sawyer and Florida beachcomber Noreen. Together, they discover a passage that leads them to the desolate reaches of Destin, the outlaw-infested parallel world in Ed's gunslinger novels. There they meet the Kingsmen, the warrior gunslinger caste of Destin and find themselves the target of a plot by the Muses themselves to bring the final act of humanity to a close.

 Inspired by the classics he grew up with such as A Wrinkle in Time and The Neverending Story, and evocative of Stephen King's fantasy-western epic The Dark Tower, the first volume of S. A. Hunt's The Outlaw King is the beginning of a series spanning from modern-day Earth to the sands of an exotic parallel world, where a climactic battle will take place on the shores of consciousness...and challenge the rules of the written word itself.

 I have to give this book 4 and a half stars, it would have been 5 if the author had gotten to the action on Destin sooner. I have to admit this one kept me reading well into the wee hours and fired me up to buy book 2... Law of the Wolf (The Outlaw King) and jump into it as soon as I finished the first book.

 The protagonists of The Whirlwind in the Thorn Tree (4 and a half stars) are led across the desert to confront their mysterious antagonist from book 1 by the Outlaw King himself, the wizened gunslinger Normand Kaliburn. When one of their own is captured and taken beyond the Wildlands to the heart of the Antargata K-Setra, our heroes will learn the true origins of Ed Brigham's fantasy world... and that incredible revelation will shatter everything they thought they knew about the secret world of Destin.
This one also kept me up well into the night. I am anxiously awaiting the next book in the series.

 Both of these books are available in Kindle editions and aren't that expensive, but I found my self receiving a hell of a lot of bang for my buck.  
Hunt has done a great job of world building creating non human races that live alongside humans, and of creating a society that's a mix of steampunk, the wild west and modern times. 

 As I said I can't wait for he next volume in the series and the further adventures of Ross Bingham and his friends. Its like coke or heroin...the first taste is free (if you get the kindle edition) and then you have to buy the rest (not that I mind), I just want my next fix from Mr. Hunt.

No comments:

Post a Comment